An annotated bibliography is a list of citations to articles, documents and books. Every citation is followed by annotation, which are usually about 150 words. The purpose of it is to inform the reader of the accuracy, quality and relevance of sources cited.
The Process: Annotated Bibliography Layout
Making annotated bibliography needs intellectual skills wherein it must have succinct analysis, informed library research and concise exposition.
- The first step is that you need to located and record citations to periodicals, documents and books that contain useful details as well as ideas that are related to your topic. You need to review and examine the actual items. After that, you can choose the works that give variety of perspectives.
- Cite the article, document or book with the use of appropriate style.
- Write concise annotation with a summary of the central theme as well as the scope of article or book. Including 1 or more sentences evaluating the background or authority of author is needed. You need to compare and contrast it with others work that you cited and explanations how it illuminates your topic.
In addition, annotated bibliography includes:
- Summary: Includes details explaining what information should the source gives.
- Evaluation: Explains how or why the notation is a useful source. It can also about the validity of source in terms of scholarly nature
- Explanation of value: It should be about the relevance of citation to research paper.
- Format styles
- APA: John Smith, T. (1994). Gun control. You Learning Review, 55 (3), 190-200. The researcher searches numerous fields as well as state firearms regulations. He also searches about effect of it to citizen. By testing his hypothesis, the findings support it.
- MLA: John Smith, Jake. “Gun Control: Means of Defense.” Special Journal (2000): 200-300. Print. The author searches numerous state firearms and federal regulations as well as the effect to it to citizen. By testing his hypothesis, the findings support it.
When it comes toannotated bibliography title page, you need to follow the correct format. Your professor provides you the needed guidelines but if he did not, make a good research and you will know what you need to do. Keep in mind that you need to know whether you are writing an annotated bibliography APA 6th edition or MLA citation annotated bibliography.